Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Oh my, how time flies!


Where has the time gone? 

I feel as if it were just yesterday that I was a kid myself.  I sometimes feel like I am a kid trapped in an adult’s body.  I don’t know how exactly or when exactly I became an adult.  I am an adult with two kids, a career, and an apartment with bills to go along with all of it. I can remember being probably about 9 or 10 years old thinking how I could not wait until I was an adult and on my own.  I wanted to have my own rules and not have to rely on anyone else.  Boy, was I wrong!  The older you become the more responsibilities you have and you really do not follow your own rules.  I feel I had more freedom at 10 than I have in my almost 30’s.  I did not have a care in the world, except for of course the constant dilemma of whether or not I was going to have enough time to play outside after I did my homework. 

I look at my boys and I pray that I can give them a childhood they would hypothetically want to come back to when they are adults.  Back to a time where they had fun and did not have to worry about a thing. 

They are already growing up so fast.  I sometimes wish I can press pause and just enjoy them being little for just a little longer.  I feel as if my 7 year old was just a toddler a few days ago and I cannot believe that my new born is already 4 months old.  I hope that I can help them understand that their childhood only last for just a short couple of years compared to the many years of adulthood they have before them.  In reality, you’re an adult for the most part of your entire life.  I hope that I can enjoy their childhood as well.  I often find myself so busy and stressed with work and housework that I lose the special moments they are having being kids.  I try to remind myself about how fast they grow up.  I try to stop doing all the other stuff and just enjoy the moment every now and then.

What do you miss most about your childhood? What do you all do to make yourselves “stop and smell the roses” so to speak?  Do you make a special time for you and your kids to enjoy?  I would love to hear about your special moments that you treasure with your kids.

Just For Today
© Misty J. Eades

Just for this morning I won't wash cloths, instead we will watch your favorite cartoon.
Just for this morning I won't wash dishes, instead we will color together.
Just for this afternoon I won't watch my soaps; instead we will go to the park and feed the ducks.
Just for this afternoon you and I will snuggle up on the couch and watch a favorite movie and eat popcorn.
Just for tonight I will let you help me fix dinner and I won't yell at you for making a mess.
Just for tonight I won't yell when you splash water all over the bathroom floor.
Just for tonight when I tuck you into bed and we snuggle together to read your favorite story I will hold you a little tighter and a little longer and Thank God for giving you to me.


Source:
Just For Today, Family Poem about Love http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/just-for-today#ixzz1sMDcdxrt

www.FamilyFriendPoems.com

No comments: